The Borla vs. Flowmaster debate has always generated controversy. Our experts have decided to put their collective efforts to put an end to this once and for all. Read for an insight into the best exhaust systems.
The Borla vs. Flowmaster is a contest that dominates most online car fora. Irrespective of which side of the fence you sit on, it is without a doubt that these are two of the most trusted exhaust mufflers in the world. If you are desirous of installing a new exhaust system or muffler and are still unsure of your options or what make or brand to choose, then you should go through this review. Deciding between the Flowmaster vs. Borla is one that depends on a lot more than sound quality.
Choosing the Best Exhaust For Your Car:
Borla vs. Flowmaster
Other Top Borla and Flowmaster Exhausts
Reviewing the Borla vs. Flowmaster Mufflers
As we take you through the path of discovery of the models that are right for your vehicle, I urge you not to take your eyes off this.
Borla vs. Flowmaster, which is sturdier, budget-friendly, silent, or audible, is a question only you can answer depending on what rocks your boat.
The process of narrowing down options, especially when it comes to shopping for critical components of your vehicle, may be rigorous. With questions such as Borla vs. Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster vs. Cherry bomb consistently running through your mind, you may begin to wonder if you are making headway or not.
The uncertainty overwhelms you entirely, leaving you helpless or pondering about the puzzle you find yourself. Relax, we have got your back! This review will serve as a useful pointer to the right muffler for your vehicle, either based on durability, gas mileage or fuel economy, sound, or performance.
A Brief Insight into The Flowmaster Mufflers
From Laminar-flow and chambered mufflers to straight-through makes, Flowmaster provides a wide variety of designs for off-road, trucks, SUV, and muscle cars. Having joined the industry in 1983, they have found a way to address a long line of sound issues in an exhaust system without a reduction in its performance level.
They have tested and proven exhaust products that are specially fitted for famous brands in the market today. How would you like a chance to tailor the sound of your vehicle to fit your personality? Flowmaster gives you that rare opportunity. Find out more about this leading brand of exhaust muffler.
A Brief Insight into The Borla Mufflers
With a track record of about 40 years and proud receivers of the ‘Best New Product Award’ in the industry, they have successfully evolved from the manufacture of exhaust kits for Classic cars such as Cadillac, Rolls Royce, and Aston Martin to performance vehicles like Ford, Jeep, and Chevrolet. Their aim has always been to protect the exhaust and the environs from its mix of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxides through a blend of aircraft -quality stainless steel made of austenite into its design.
Bigger exhaust pipes and droning sound or uninterrupted flow and velocity, which would you prefer? Here are some models of Borla exhaust mufflers that may interest you.
Comparing Flowmaster 40 vs. Borla Pro XS
Gains of choosing this muffler design
- Excellent Performance – The 953047 is made from aluminized steel and welded for toughness and a durable look.
- Outstanding Interior resonance & Quality Sound – If you are looking for a rumble from your exhaust, this is the solution. Thanks to the delta flow technology used in the making of these exhaust mufflers, the Flowmaster 953047 produces an astonishingly unique performance tone.
- Universal Fit – The 953047 can be adapted to fit all automobiles. However, it is the perfect exhaust for a V8 truck. This fact makes it the ideal muffler for the Dodge Ram and Chevy Silverado.
- The welding is susceptible to rust during winter.
Our VerdictThis street muffler is adapted legally for use on race vehicles due to its Delta flow technology, which is known for the production of an aggressive growl without reducing its velocity of performance.
RATING: SUPER 40 FLOWMASTER MUFFLER 953047
What makes this Turbo XL muffler superior?
- Decent Design- It has a free flow, reversible design, and high-grade aircraft steel make. To top this, it has a natural mill finishing. The end result is an improved design and performance.
- Better Performance- Largely due to the muffler’s design, the Turbo XL possesses immense torque and horsepower.
- Improved Sound- The Turbo XL muffler provides overall improved sound control superseding a majority of Borla mufflers.
- Compatibility-This Pro XS model is compatible with most Street performance vehicles with 2.5″ exhaust with and an overall body length of 24 inches.
- Strength & Durability- The muffler is welded to make it healthier, while the Stainless-steel design accounts for rust resistance and prolonged life.
The Sole Mishap of this Pro muffler
- Terrible Droning sound: This Borla muffler is not for everyone. The sound made by these mufflers may be considered terrific to some yet likened to a horrendous drone by others.
What We think about 400286 ProThis Pro muffler, which is of the Turbo XL model, is independently tested to produce a maximum flow capacity and is designed and recommended for Street performance and larger engines.
RATING: BORLA PROXS 400286 MUFFLER
Why Borla XS Muffler?
- Quality Design: It is made of Rust-resistant steel material and welded to provide it with strength and support. Its natural mill finish can be brushed or polished before installation.
- Flexible Installation: All of Borla’s mufflers are reversible in design and so allows for easy installation.
- Great Sound control: This feature is made possible through its high-temperature continuous filament fiber acoustic material.
- Service warranty: Who would not want to take the deal? In case you’re wondering what it implies, It merely means a repair or replacement of returned products with a manufacturing defect and at 20000 miles/per year for 50 years.
Difficulties encountered with Borla 40358
- Possible welding failure: You may be in for a possibility of welding failure.
- Low sound on Tacoma: It drones a lot at about 2500 RPM in a 2009 Tacoma 4.0.
- May be cut to fit: You may have to cut slits on the welding to make it work.
Our OpinionTo avoid unnecessary modifications to the entire system, ensure that your vehicle’s specifications match with the inlet and outlet dimensions properly. Otherwise, enjoy the neat sound and quality design offered by Pro XS muffler.
RATING: BORLA 40358 BORLA PRO XS MUFFLER
Flowmaster 40 vs. Borla Pro XS: Who wins?
Both mufflers are known for the production of striking designs aimed at improving. However, what makes these designs unique is the material. While Flowmaster 40 has an aluminized steel design, Borla Pro XS is of austenitic stainless steel. For more horsepower and torque, Borla ProXS is the solution.
Based on sound, Flowmaster utilizes a Delta flow technology to control noise and produce an aggressive growl. Pro XS adopts the CFF technology for the distinctive Borla sound. The answer of Flowmaster 40 vs. Borla Pro XS depends on how loud or subtle you like your sound.
The difference in terms of fitting and application is straightforward as Flowmaster is for trucks and race cars, whereas Borla applies to a street performance vehicle. Whoever wins is subject to your preference.
In terms of durability, Borla PRO is more rust-resistant, whereas Flowmaster 40 begins to rust from the area where it is welded. To prevent this, the Flowmaster 40 must be painted with a high-temperature coat. Besides, Borla Pro XS offers greater ease of installation.
Borla 400286 ProXS Muffler Super 10 series gives you maximum performance. Its sound is loud and aggressive that it is unfit for street use. It is durable and possesses the same Delta flow technology applied to the super 40 series.
The Pros of the Flowmaster super 10 mufflers
- Super Sound- If you are big on sound, this might be right for you. The sound emission from this muffler is Loud enough to get the police on your neck, especially with its scavenging effect.
- Warranty- Flowmaster’s 10-year warranty backs it.
- Durability- Built from 16-gauge stainless steel and welded with inert metal gas to make it uniform and slag- free.
- Compatibility- This short, single-chambered muffler has configurations of 3.0 center in/ 2.5 dual out diameter. You owe it to yourself to always ensure that these specifications match with your engine and exhaust type.
The Cons of Flowmaster 8430152
- The sound emission is considered by a few to be excessively loud and obnoxious.
- They are unfit for Street-driven vehicles.
This series is clearly for those who believe in the saying, ‘the louder, the better.’ Besides, the delta flow technology maximizes the performance of this system; hence, its application to off-road and racing vehicles like Silverado, Mustang, Ram, and Challenger.
RATING: FLOWMASTER 8430152 SUPER 10 MUFFLER
The Advantages of 842515
- Universal Fit- It is best fitted for Ford F150, Silverado, and Tacoma but, generally for off-road and race cars.
- Exquisite Design-Made with Stainless steel and welded with inert gas, this single chambered muffler is durable and reliable.
- Super Sound level-The sound is aggressive and loud enough to distort the harmony of the environment and is the main reason why it is just for off-highway use.
The Disadvantages of 842515 super 10
- Not to be applied to the street-driven vehicles
- It has a droning sound and lacks the Flowmaster rumble
- You have to go through a few hassles to install them.
Our AssessmentThese Flowmaster super 10 kits though a universal fit, is not model specific and so may need some modifications to fit your vehicle like in the case of a 2017 Tacoma with a 3.0 outlet diameter rather than a 2.5. The safest bet will be to get it to install at a local auto shop close to you.
RATING: FLOWMASTER 842515 SUPER 10 MUFFLER
The Reasons why you should consider Flowmaster Silverado
- Engine Efficiency- This series is known for its increased torque and power gain/horsepower, which further gives a positive influence on the fuel consumption rate of your vehicle during its lifespan. Thus, explaining its application on flashy sports cars.
- Reduced Interior Resonance: This feature is a function of its large case, which not only resonates with the system but refines the sound to provide a deep, rich tone.
- It is best for large displacement vehicles like the Silverado.
The Sole Mishap of this Super 50 muffler
- Complex Installation- Do not try to adopt a do-it-yourself approach unless you have excellent welding skills. It is not an easy bolt-on for many, especially for a 97 Silverado, which has a slightly different dimension or other vehicles like the 2011 CM Tundraand a Nissan Titan, which have to undergo adaptations to get it to fit.
Is it worth the price?The durability of this universal Street chambered muffler is not in doubt, especially with its aluminized steel make. Though it may be a tough one to install, with firepower, improved distance, and race-proven technology, you can be sure of getting value for your money.
RATING: SILVERADO 524553 FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES
The Merits of Cat-Back System
- Concealed Firepower- This is due to the action of the axle-back multi-core technology, and it further heightens the momentum and fuel-efficiency.
- Remarkably thunderous sound- The unique Borla sound has gained a lot of prestige from motorists all around the world.
- Spectacular Design, Performance, and longevity – Borla combines patented technology (linear and multi-core) with analysis tools to produce a fantastic sensory response of sound. Its stainless-steel design makes it durable, while the leveled mandrel bends provide paramount flow and power.
How We view 140537The blueprint, tone, and technology incorporated into its production are sophisticated to the core. Still, all aimed at the resilience and greater vehicle effectiveness as well as giving a better driving experience.
RATING: 140537 ATAK CAT-BACK BORLA EXHAUST
This exhaust is the most threatening, well built, and most pleasing exhaust for all Chevrolet Camaro 2010-2013 SS 6.2L V8 Automatic and Manual transmission rear-wheel drive, 2 Door Coupe, or Convertible or Dodge Challenger.
The Pros of acquiring 140356 system
- Fantastic Presentation- The internal Pipe improves tone and performance. Like other models, it utilizes a straightforward and multi-core technology, which enhances the potency of the engine and velocity.
- The Ultra-smooth CNC manufacturing makes fitting easy, while the Mandrel bends promote a significant flow rate/power.
- Top standard style- This ATAK system is of polished austenitic stainless steel, which gives it a better look as well as longevity.
- Modern ATAK Technology/ Sound Control- This technology produces the most precise and highest decibel legally recommended for Street driven cars.
- Poor quality assurance – The labeling of the right and left parts may be interchanged, thereby making the installation process tasking and frustrating.
Our Appraisal of this Muffler
This is for individuals who enjoy notes larger than their stereo volume. It has a lustrous glaze, promotes more excellent fuel efficiency and higher power without reducing sound.
RATING: BORLA ATAK EXHAUST 140356 SYSTEM
Are you searching for a profound, vivid, and husky sound both on the innermost and outermost of your automobile? This might be for you. It utilizes an original hanger position for its attachment. Thus, making it a simple DIY task. It also consists of a convenient steel system that heightens sound and effectiveness. Its specification includes an oval-shaped muffler with a 3-inch tube span, 2.25-inch outlet diameter. It is dyno tuned to achieve higher performance. However, its shortcomings include a loud droning sound and a weak and unstable clamp.
Borla ATAK vs. Flowmaster Outlaw
Flowmaster outlaw may be big on sound, easy fitting, and performance, BORLA ATAK brings sound to the peak and most exact level legal for Street driven cars.
The Pros of this Cat-back muffler
- Reliable Performance- It utilizes an axle-back multi-core technology whose primary function is to increase the concealed horsepower. This system and its internal X pipe also guarantee a raised fuel consumption rate, power, and velocity.
- CNC manufacturing makes it fit accurately, especially for a 02Challenger SXT/GT V6 2015-2020.
- It also possesses the mandrel bends that ensure production of maximum power and flow while its stainless-steel style gives the best long-lasting system and performance.
- Improved sound is a function of all its high-quality materials.
- A loud metallic sound pops up upon starting the engine or when trying to accelerate.
Our JudgmentThis Cat-Back system has an Automatic/ Manual transmission, which makes it suitable for the rear wheel and all-wheel drives. All these specifications gear towards providing an excellent fitment for your vehicle that offers justification for money well spent.
RATING: BORLA CAT-BACK SYSTEM 140650
Merits of Super 44 series muffler
- Sound/Resonance- The case size of the kit is applied to the system to produce a deep and ample tone.
- Increased effectiveness- It possesses the Delta flow technology peculiar to 40 series, which controls noise from the combustion engine with the use of its modern two-chamber improvement.
- Durability- Construction is done with a 16-gauge aluminized steel and welded for extra strength with an inert metal gas (MIG).
Our AppraisalFlowmaster 942545 no doubt offers the highest performance and most aggressive sound with its new dual-chambered design, thus, its application to racing vehicles.
RATING: FLOWMASTER 942545 SUPER 44
Comparing Borla XR1 vs. Flowmaster 40
In comparing the Borla XR1 vs. Flowmaster 40 series, we must take a look at what makes them stand out. Among the more fascinating features of the Borla XR1 are its unique sound and resilience. The Flowmaster 40 has a compelling sound that is exceptionally suitable for a truck like the Ram 1500. To buttress this, we have decided to share a video comparing the Borla exhaust sound vs. Flowmaster series.
Frequently Asked Questions About Exhaust Systems
Can you compare the Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow vs. Borla vs. cherry bomb? Also, give me advice on the most suitable exhaust for my Tacoma.
Most Borla vs. Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster vs. Cherrybomb reviews mostly focus on the performance strengths of these exhaust systems without providing an insight into their weaknesses. Without going into detail about the features each of these exhausts have, we will have to recommend the Borla exhaust for the Tacoma. As far as most Tacoma Magnaflow vs. Borla vs. Flowmaster vs. cherry bomb reviews goes, the recommended exhaust is the Flowmaster. This choice is primarily due to the increased horsepower on the wheels that the Flowmaster 10 series provides. However, if our attention is on overall performance, the Borla is perfect for durability, sound quality, and performance. You cannot go wrong.
How is the F150 or Ram 1500 Borla ATAK vs. Flowmaster Outlaw?
Deciding on the ram Hemi 1500 Borla ATAK vs. Flowmaster Outlaw has a lot to do with user preference. Flowmaster Outlaw places a significant priority on tone and should be the preferred exhaust system for anyone keen on resonance. A personal opinion: the sound of the Flowmaster outlaw is ideal for a Ram 1500 than the Borla. The Borla Atak is performance inclined and will add a bit more horsepower to your Ram 1500 than the Outlaw would. Generally, Borla is a more durable alternative.
Regarding the Flowmaster Outlaw vs. Borla Atak F150 comparison, we still give the Borla Atak the edge over the Outlaw due to its overall performance. This comparison does not in any way mean that the Outlaw is an inadequate exhaust for your F150. It always depends on your preference.
Like most Flowmaster vs. Borla review projects, we have no choice but to pick sides.
Flowmaster is the ideal exhaust for anyone with a preference for sound. But if you are looking for an exhaust that can provide you with just the right mix of everything, then go for the Borla. Irrespective of what your choice may be, you cannot go wrong.